On 8th of August 1942, our freedom fighters took a pledge of “Quit India” and started Quit India Movement. As a result in 1947, India achieved its independence.
In a similar way,
On the eve of 75th anniversary of Quit India Movement PM urged the people of India to take another pledge to work shoulder to shoulder and dedicate themselves towards creating a ”New India” thus starting a New India Movement (2017-22) called “SANKALP SE SIDDHI”.
Some important points about Quit India Movement:
- The movement started after the failure of Cripps Mission (March 1942).
- Gandhiji gave a clarion call of “DO or DIE” in his speech delivered at Gowalia Tank Maidan, Bombay on 7th Aug 1942.
- The Quit India Resolution drafted by Jawaharlal Nehru was ratified in the AICC meeting held at Gowalia tank, Bombay on 8th Aug 1942.
- Parallel governments were established at many places:
- Ballia (Uttar Pradesh) – under Chittu Pandey
- Tamluk (West Bengal) – under Satish Samanta, Sushil Dhara and Ajoy Mukherjee.
- Satara (Maharashtra)– under leaders like Y. B. Chavan, Nana Patil etc.
- Usha Sharma started an underground radio in Bombay.
- There was a complete absence of Anti – Zamindar violence.
You may also like reading: Non-cooperation and Khilafat Movement