NPS upper age raised to 65
- PFRDA has raised the age limit for joining NPS scheme to 65 years.
- Earlier the age limit to join National Pension Scheme was 60. The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority or PFRDA is a regulating body for this social security scheme.
- The objective is to open up pensions to sectors for more and more people so they can get income security in old age.
China to ban petrol cars
- China is looking forward to putting a limited ban petrol and diesel cars in the country.
- This move will boost electric vehicles manufacturing significantly. China has already introduced draft regulations compelling automakers to produce more electrically-powered vehicles by 2020 through a quota system.
- Earlier, France and Britain has outlawed the sale of petrol and diesel cars & vans from 2040 to clamp down on harmful emissions.
Pak opens China backed nuke power plant
- Pakistan has inaugurated its fifth Nuclear power plant C-4. This plant was developed in collaboration with China and located at Chashma in Mianwali district of the Punjab province.
- Pakistani Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi mentioned that the nuclear plants were a source of cheap energy and Pakistan would work on setting up more such plants.
Rafael Nadal wins US Open
- Rafael Nadal defeated Kevin Anderson (World No. 28) to win his third US Open title.
- He ranks second in the total number of Grand Slam Titles win. Nadal has 16 Grand Salm titles and Roger Federer has 19 Grand Slam titles.
- Prior to this, he has also lifted his second grand slam title of 2017 after French Open in June.
Saudi Arabia suspend dialogue with Qatar
- Saudi Arabia has suspended dialogue with Qatar after a phone call between the Qatari leader and the Saudi crown prince.
- The two sides had discussed holding talks to resolve the Qatar crisis, which has seen Doha cut off from Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Egypt and the UAE.
- The development came after US President Trump spoke separately with the leaders of Saudi Arabia, Qatar & UAE.
Stephens wins 2017 US Open title
- Sloane Stephens defeated Madison Keys in the final of the 2017 U.S. Open. to win the first major title of her career.
- Sloane Stephens is 24 years old, she was at 967th rank 6 weeks ago.
- After 2002, it was again an all for the first time all American final in US Open women’s singles.