Pakistan allows meeting of Kulbhushan Jadhav with his Wife
- Pakistan is allowing the meeting purely on humanitarian grounds.A note verbale has been sent to the Indian High Commission in Islamabad on this matter.
- The meeting will take place on Pakistani Soil.
- Jadhav was sentenced to death by a Pakistani military court in April 2017 on charges of espionage and terrorism. The International Court of Justice in May halted his execution on India’s appeal.
- Earlier, Pakistan has repeatedly denied India consular access to Jadhav on the ground that it was not applicable in cases related to spies.
Cabinet Approves creation of National Testing Agency
- It was proposed in Budget 2017.
- NTA will be registered as a Society under the Indian Societies Registration Act, 1860.
- It will be an autonomous and self-sustained premier testing organization to conduct entrance examinations for higher educational institutions.
- It will take over the functions of CBSE, AICTE and other agencies regarding the conduct of various entrance examinations, and also bring in high reliability, standardized difficulty level for assessing the aptitude, intelligence and problem-solving abilities of the students.
- The entrance examinations will be conducted in online mode at least twice a year.
Second National Judicial Pay Commission for Subordinate Judiciary to be appointed soon
- The Union Cabinet has approved the appointment of Second National Judicial Pay Commission (SNJPC) for Subordinate Judiciary in the country.
- The Commission is to be headed by Justice (Retd.) J P.Venkatrama Reddi, former Judge of Supreme Court of India. Sri R. Basant, a former Judge of the Kerala High Court is the Member of the Commission.
- The Commission will make its recommendations to the State Governments preferably within a period of 18 months.
- The Commission will devise its own procedures and formulate modalities necessary for accomplishing the task. The Commission also aims at making the pay scales and conditions of service of Judicial Officers uniform throughout the country.
SC Constitution Bench strike down 2-judge Division bench order in judges bribery case
- The 5 Judges constitution bench of Supreme Court overturned the order of 2 Judge division bench to set up a larger bench to hear the cases of alleged bribe taken in the name of judges.
- The APEX Court said that the Chief Justice of India was the “master of the court” and he only had the sole prerogative to allocate matters to various benches in the court.
- The CJI-headed bench said allocation of matters by the CJI was the principle of law, judicial discipline and the decorum of the court.
- The Court also made it clear that the matter will be allocated before an appropriate bench for hearing after two weeks.
NGT allows Odd-Even Scheme with few exemptions but Delhi Govt rollback the Scheme
- The Green tribunal allowed odd-even car rationing scheme from 13th -17th Nov.It had also asked to implement the scheme when PM10 crosses 300 level and PM2.5 crosses 500 PPM
- But unlike the previous cases this time two-wheelers, government servants and women will also have to follow the car rationing scheme.
- The NGT, however, exempted e-CNG buses, ambulances, fire brigade trucks, vehicles carrying solid waste from the odd-even plan.
- But later on due to the removal of these exemptions, AAP Govt in Delhi decided to roll back the scheme.
Debjani Ghosh to be the 1st Woman President of NASSCOM
- She will succeed R Chandrashekhar after completion of his tenure in March next year.
- She is former MD, Intel South Asia.
Trans-Pacific Partnership(TPP) advances without USA
- Countries in the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) trade deal have agreed on the core elements to move ahead without the United States,
- Talks in this regard were held on the sidelines of an Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit in the Vietnamese resort of Danang.
- The agreement, which has not been finalised till yet, would now be called the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP).
- Around 20 provisions of the original agreement were suspended. Those included some related to protecting labour rights and the environment, although most were related to intellectual property – one of the main sticking points after the U.S. withdrawal.
Iraqi Forces launched an offensive attack to recapture Rawa.
- Rawa is the last town in Iraq under ISIS control.
- The capture of the town by the Iraqi forces will mark end the Islamic State’s era of territorial rule over a so-called caliphate that it proclaimed in 2014 across vast swathes of Iraq and Syria.
Anil Ambani inducted in Atlantic Council advisory board
- Anil Ambani, Chairman of Reliance Group, has been included in the international advisory board of global think-tank The Atlantic Council.
- The Atlantic Council is a foreign policy think-tank headquartered in Washington, DC
Facebook’s new App Local to bring together standalone business
- This App will feature information about local businesses and reviews from Facebook users to help bring together businesses bars, restaurants, clubs and more along with events.
- It has been launched in USA on iOS and Android platform.
Cabinet approves setting of Exhibition centre at Dwarka
- Exhibition-cum-Convention Centre will be developed at Dwarka at an estimated cost of Rs. 25,703 crore by 2025.
- Currently, India lacked an integrated world-class facility which can meet the requirements of global ECC operators.But with the development of such a centre will bring Delhi at par with international ECC Operators.
US Congress approves $700M for Pakistan
- The Fund will be released for activities of Coalition Support Fund (CSF) which is carried out in support of the U.S. operations in Afghanistan.
- Earlier US had also granted $255 M military aid to Pakistan with some attached conditions.
- The military aid to Pakistan was committed by President Obama in 2015, but the Trump administration has attached new conditions to further delay the release.
Cabinet approves MoU between India and Philippines on agriculture and related fields
- It will promote understanding of best agricultural practices in the two countries and will help in improving agricultural productivity and will help in greater accessing of global markets.
- The MoU provides for cooperation in the fields of rice production and processing, multi-cropping system, dryland farming systems, bio-organic farming, solid and water conservation and management, soil fertility, sericulture, agroforestry, livestock improvement etc.
- The MoU provides for constitution of Joint Working Group composed of the equal number of representatives. The Joint Working Group shall meet once every two years alternatively in the Philippines and India.
Cabinet Approves agreement with Various Nations to Avoid Tax Evasion
- India will sign a sign an agreement with the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) of China for the Avoidance of Double Taxation and the Prevention of Fiscal Evasion with respect to taxes on income.
- India and Kyrgyz amend their Double Tax Avoidance Agreement in serting the clause that the State from which information is requested cannot deny information on the ground that it has no domestic tax interest in that information or that the information requested is held by a bank or a financial institution, etc.
Joint Interpretative Declaration between India and Colombia gets Cabinet nod
- The Declaration is regarding the existing Agreement for the Promotion and Protection of Investments between India and Colombia signed on November 10, 2009.
- It will impart clarity and transparency in all the existing agreements and will help in strengthening the investment treaty regime between the two countries.
Amul Boards Indian Railways via Twitter
- Amul started transporting Amul Butter through refrigerated cargo parcels through Indian Railways.
- Earlier Amul had asked Railways to use the national carrier to transport butter through out India to which railways responded promptly and positively.
- First refrigerator van with 17 MT of Amul butter today flagged off from Palanpur to Delhi with railways milk train.
- The Indian Railways had introduced the refrigerated van service a few years ago with an aim to facilitate the transportation of perishable commodities such as fruits, vegetables, frozen meats/poultry and chocolates.However, these services existed only on specific routes.
Mob Burnt Hindu’s Houses In Bangladesh Over Facebook Post
- Infuriated Protesters torched 30 houses of Minority Hindus following rumours that a youth from the minority community had published an offensive Facebook status.
- The incident took place in Rangpur district’s Thakurpara village, about 300 km from Dhaka in which one person lost his life.
Supreme Court to overhaul AIFF in the lines of BCCI
- The Supreme Court said it could appoint an eminent footballer as an ombudsman, other than the former Chief Election Commissioner S Y Quraishi, to implement the Delhi High Court order for reforming the constitution of All India Football Federation (AIFF).
- The court also said that it would also ask AIFF to frame constitution (just like BCCI) to include the guidelines of Delhi High Court.
- The apex court had agreed to hear the appeal of AIFF challenging the Delhi High Court verdict setting aside the election of Patel as its president.
Consensus Among APEC leaders to address “unfair trade practices”
- APEC leaders agree to address unfair trade practices. Moreover, they also called for the removal of “market-distorting subsidies” and other types of support by governments and related entities.”
- The outcome comes in the annual APEC summit in Vietnam.
Supreme Court asks Centre’s reply to capital punishment
- Supreme Court had asked the Govt to reply within six weeks that whether hanging is the only mode of capital punishment.
- The PIL also refers to the 187th Report of the Law Commission advocating the removal of the present mode of execution from the statute.
- The PIL is of the opinion that “dying with dignity is part of the right to life” and the present practice of executing a death row convict by hanging involves “prolonged pain and suffering”.