Olive Ridley sea turtles starts arriving at Gahirmatha beach
- Olive Ridley Turtles have started to arrive at Gahirmatha marine sanctuary in Kendrapara district of Odisha.
- Every year they used to arrive here and other places of east coast of India,for nesting and breeding.
- Gahirmatha beach off Bay of Bengal in Odisha coast is known as WorldÂ’s largest-known nesting ground of these animals.
- The female lay eggs in the beach nest by a process also called “Arribada”.
- The Olive ridley turtles are the smallest and most abundant of all sea turtles found in the world, inhabiting warm waters of the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian oceans.
- They has been listed on Schedule – I of the Indian Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972 (amended 1991) and their IUCN status is “Vulnerable”.
Russia looking over 50% localisation for new Kudankulam reactors
- Russia is eyeing for more than 50% localisation of resources from India in the 5th and 6th units of Kudankulam reactors.
- Previously localisation was upto 20% only.
- Rosatom, the Russian partner for Nuclear Power Corporation (NPCIL), is supplying the water-water energetic reactors (VVER reactors) for the Kudankulam nuclear plant.
- Russia has also offered India the latest “generation 3-plus” nuclear reactors — the VVER-1200-powered by advanced fuel — for the yet-to-be finalised site in parallel to the ongoing Kudankulam project.
India give sovereign assurance to UK about prison facilites for Vijay Mallya’s extradition
- After UK’s court denied extradition of sanjeec Chawla,on account of match fixing case,on his plea that condition of prisons in India are too poor to maintain his human rights, Indian govt had given assurence that Mallya will be kept inside the Arthur Road Jail in Mumbai.
- In this regard a proper inspection of Arthur Jail was done and photos of the barrack in which Mallya would be lodged after extradition were sent to the UK authorities.
- Vijay Mallya earlier fled from India after failing to repay loans of Rs 9000 crore to Indian banks.
Sebi to rope in for media agency for investor awareness ads
- Sebi is scouting for media agency for the task of publishing its investor awareness advertisements on digital and traditional platforms, including TV, radio and newspapers.
- In this regard ,Sebi has issued a notice inviting expression of interest (EoI) from interested parties.The selected bidder will be responsible for helping in educating and creating awareness among existing retail investors, converting savers into investors and make the future generation aware of various avenues in the securities market.
- The selected media agency will also be responsible to create awareness about and widen the use of several initiatives of Sebi like the complaints redressal system, financial education programmes and SEBI’s helpline.
UK to leave EU ON March 29,2019
- British Prime Minister Theresa May announced that UK will exit from Eurpoean Union on 29th March 2019 at 11pm
- The draft EU Withdrawal Bill has already passed its second reading and will now be scrutinised by MPs next week.
- The Prime Minister said that the bill was fundamental for the smooth and orderly Brexit and it would give “the greatest possible clarity and certainty for all businesses and families across the country”.
Air India gets Rs 1500cr Loan from Bank of India
- The loan was taken to meet the requirement of working or floating capital.
- Earlier the national carrier has floated a tender in this regard on Oct 18th.
- In the recent time it was the second loan of Air India from Public Sector Banks. Prior to this, the airline had borrowed around Rs3,250 crore as short tenure loans from two lenders—IndusInd Bank and Punjab National Bank.
- The government is in the process of finalising the contours of its strategic disinvestment in order the revive the debt ridden ailing airline.
RBI refuses to start Islamic Banking in India
- RBI has said that it will not pursue Islamic Banking in India.
- It was said in a reply goven to a RTI filed by PTI.
- The central bank said the decision was taken after considering “the wider and equal opportunities” available to all citizens to access banking and financial services.
- Islamic Banking works on the concept of charging no interest as it is prohibited under Islam.
- The idea was proposed in 2008 by a committee on Financial Sector Reforms, headed by former RBI governor Raghuram Rajan.
Bharat Net Phase-2 to kickstart from Tommorrow
- Government is going to start Bharatnet project’s second and final phase from 13th November,2017.
- The project,having a budget of Rs.34,000 cr,will be implemented under the aegis of Minsitry of Telecommunication.
- The aim of the project is to provide high speed broadband connectivity to all panchayats of India by 2019.
- The project is being funded by Universal Service Obligation F, which was set for improving telecom services in rural amd remote areas of the cpuntry.
NGT asked Delhi Govt. to discourage roadside parking
- NGT directs the Delhi government and the municipal corporations to ensure availability of appropriate parking facilities for cars and discourage roadside parking.
- The Green Tribunal has also directed Delhi Govt and Traffic Police to fine and seize the diesel vehicles (more than 10 years old) and petrol vehicles(more than 10 years old).
- These measures are necessary to decongest the traffic and to curb the severe pollution in Delhi.
Middle East again in boil due to missing Lebanese Prime Minister.
- Lebanese PM Saad Hariri on 11th Nov. announced his resignation through a video from Riyadh,the capital of Saudi Arabia.
- Last week he made a sudden trip to Saudi Arabia.
- The Iranian-backed Hezbollah Movement,a part of his governing coalition at Lebanon, charged that the Saudis were holding him against his will , while the Saudis have said they were protecting him from an unspecified assassination plot.
- Some Analyst are of the opinion of a clash between Sunni dominated Saudi Arabia and Iran backed Hezbollah who is backing the current Prime Minister.
Vice-President slams US for religious harmony Fund in India
- Vice President Sri M Venkiah Naidu had condemned USA to grant funds to NGO for maintaining social harmony in India.
- In a function at KIIT University,he said that minor incidents happen everywhere but India’s religious harmony is intact and no one would preach us how to maintain that.
- The US State Department had recently announced a grant of $493,827 for NGOs in India and Sri Lanka that seek to reduce religious discrimination.
Venezuela ready to talk to foreign investors over its $60 billion debt crisis.
- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro’s socialist government has set a high-profile location near the presidential palace in Caracas for Monday’s hotly awaited meeting with investors to discuss renegotiating $60 billion in foreign debt.
- The Debt renogiation Committee,which has been recently created,had been assigned the task to meet with the creditors.
- Sources had said Zerpa plus committee head and Venezuelan Vice President Tareck El Aissami, who are both on US sanctions lists for corruption and drug-trafficking accusations respectively, would sit out the meeting to allay any fears about legal repercussions for anyone meeting them.
Musharraf’s ‘grand alliance’ falls apart on second day
- Several parties including the Pakistan Awami Tehrik and the Majlis Wahdat-e-Muslimeen, have dissociated themselves from Awami Ittehad Alliance,the grand alliance of 23 parties formed by Pervez Mushaarraf just yesterday .
- The grand alliance is headed by Pervez Musharraf, with Iqbal Dar as its Secretary General.
- Musharraf had earlier said that all parties representing the Muhajir community should be united. Muhajirs are Urdu-speaking people who migrated from India during the partition.
WhatsApp to launch new application for ipad users
- Facebook owned WhatsApp is planning to launch ipad version of the instant messaging app soon.
- However, the WhatsApp tracking website did not reveal whether the company was planning for a standalone application or will it be just a client application like the WhatsApp Web.
- The instant messaging app also confirmed group voice calls in its latest beta version of Android in October.
- The company had recently launched many new features in its app inlcuding ‘Delete for Everyone’ that allows its over one billion users to revoke their messages in case they sent those to a wrong person or group.
Hajj 2018 to be digitised, forms available from Nov 15-Dec 7
- Government is trying to digitise the full process of Hajj piligrimage for which the application forms will be available from November 15 to December 7 on the website of Hajj Committee of India today
- Hajj 2018 will begin August 19 and end on August 24, subject to changes.
- Govt is scrapping Hajj subsidy from 2018 on the recommendation of a special committee set up in January this year.
P-notes investments hits 8 year low over stringent SEBI norms
- The total value of investments through P-notes in Indian markets slumped to Rs 1,22,684 crore at September-end after hitting seven-and-a-half year low of Rs 1,25,037 crore at the end of August.
- This is the lowest level since August 2009, when investments through P-notes stood at Rs 1,10,355 crore.
- Earlier in July 2017,SEBI,the capital market regulator,had made stringent norms for P-notes by fixing a fee of $1,000 that would be levied on each instrument to check any misuse for channelising black money.
AICTE stops GB Pant college from admitting students over lack of facilities
- AICTE,the apex regulatory body for technical education,had barred the GB Pant College from admitting students for the academic year 2017-18 as it lacks basic facilities and infrastructure like research labs, sick room, common room for boys and girls and placement office.
- The AICTE has also issued a notice to the administration of the college for failing to comply with the recommendation of a Standing Appellate Committee (SAC) issued in April 2017.