India re-elected as Member of International Maritime Council
- India has been re-elected to the Council of the International Maritime Organization [IMO] under Category “B” at the 30th session of the Assembly of the IMO held in London for two years (2018-19)
- India has a large merchant marine fleet of 1359 vessels, both on foreign going and coastal operations, with a combined Gross Tonnage of 12.2 million.
- The IMO Council consists of 40 member countries. In Categories “A” and “B” there are 10 members each and in Cateogary “C” 20 members.
President inaugurates Hornbill Festival
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the Hornbill Festival and State Formation Day celebrations of Nagaland today (December 1, 2017) in Kisama.
- The President said that the youth of Nagaland are the pride of the country. They are the true legatees of Dr T. Ao, the doctor-sportsperson who was the first captain of our national football team after Independence, leading the team in the London Olympics of 1948.
- Hornbill Festival is the perfect showcase of rich Naga culture and traditions, preserved over the years in the form of music, dance and food. The Hornbill Festival at Kisama and the International Music Festival represent the diversity of Naga society.
- Festival will be celebrated every year from 1 – 10 December, in Nagaland, Northeast India. It is also called the ‘Festival of Festivals’.
52nd Raising Day Ceremony of BSF
- Border Security Forces (BSF) personnels along with whole nation celebrated its 52nd Raising day Ceremony.
- More than 2000 gallantry medals are recorded in this force’s account and this sacrifice and this honor is the heritage of our nation on which the country is proud.
- While working as ‘India’s First Line of Defence’, 1856 BSF personnel have made their supreme sacrifice on the line of duty
Indo-UK Army Exercise – Ajeya Warrior 2017
- Joint Indo-United Kingdom (UK) army training exercise ‘Ajeya Warrior 2017’ begun at Mahajan Field Firing Ranges, Bikaner, Rajasthan on December 1, 2017.
- ‘Ajeya Warrior 2017′ will be the third joint military exercise between India and UK.
- The objective of this exercise is to build and promote bilateral army to army coordination and enhance interoperability.
Cabinet approves setting up of National Nutrition Mission
- The Union Cabinet has approved setting up of National Nutrition Mission (NNM) with a three year budget of Rs.9046.17 crore commencing from 2017-18.
- The NNM, as an apex body, will monitor, supervise, fix targets and guide the nutrition-related interventions across the Ministries.
- The programme through the targets will strive to reduce the level of stunting, under-nutrition, anemia and low birth weight babies.
- More than 10 crore people to be benefitted by this programme.
WE-Hub for women in Telangana
- Telangana govt. has announced setting up ‘We-Hub’ on the lines of T-Hub and also to create Rs 15 crore fund.
- The WE-Hub to be funded under the Atal Innovation Mission.
- T-Hub is a partnership between the government of Telangana with three of India’s premier academic institutes and key private sector leaders.