PENCIL Portal against Child Labour
- PENCIL short form of ‘Platform for Effective Enforcement for No Child Labour’ is an internet portal developed by Labour Ministry aimed at enforcing NO CHILD LABOUR.
- The government has launched this new portal for effective implementation of National Child Labour Projects.
- Child Tracking System, Complaint Corner, State Govt, National Child Labour Project & Convergence are five components of PENCIL Portal.
INS Tarasa commissioned into Indian Navy
- INS Tarasa is a 50 meter long Water Jet Fast Attack Craft and with more than 35 knots speed. It is powered by 3 waterjets.
- The newly commissioned ship has many machine guns including a 30 mm indigenously built gun.
- Its purpose is to help in coastal defence operations undertaken by Indian Navy.
- It is the fourth and last of the Water Jet FACs built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers, Kolkata. Other three are INS Tarmugli, INS Tihayu, and INS Tillanchang.
- Earlier another INS Tarasa was has served Indian Navy from 1999 to 2014.
Saubhagya scheme for electrification
- With an aim to bring electricity in every house, the government has launched the Saubhagya scheme.
- The scheme is to provide electrical connection to all rural and urban households in the country by March 31, 2019. The states will be required to complete this household electrification. This project is of amount 16000 Cr.
- 60% of total expenditure will be funded by the central government as grants to state and 10 percent will be contributed by states. The remaining will be covered by loans.
After remaining non-functional for the last three years the Janakpur-Jayanagar Railway line connecting Nepal and India is expected to become functional by 2018. It is the only railway line that once used to link India with Nepal but after 2014 its service got discontinued.
State Bank of India (SBI) today opened its sixth branch in Singapore, extending its services in the country’s heartland. The new branch has come up in Ang Mo Kio area, which is popular for its housing estates. In Singapore, about 80 percent of SBI customers are Chinese and the rest are high-net-worth Indians.