Cabinet approves Zojila tunnel project
- The government approved the Rs 6,809-crore strategic Zojila pass tunnel project in Jammu and Kashmir to provide all-weather connectivity between Srinagar, Kargil and Leh.
- Zojila pass is situated at an altitude of 11,578 feet on Srinagar-Kargil-Leh National Highway.
CCEA approves Jal Marg Vikas Project on NW-1
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved implementation of Jal Marg Vikas Project (JMVP) for capacity augmentation of navigation on the 1,380-km Haldia-Varanasi stretch of National Waterway-1 (NW1) on Ganga River.
- The project will be implemented at a cost of over Rs. 5,370 crore rupees with the technical assistance and investment support of the World Bank.
- International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) will provide loan of Rs 2,512 crore for the project.
- Union government provide Rs 2,556 crore from budgetary allocation and proceeds from bond issue.
- It is expected to be completed by March, 2023.
‘Electoral Bonds’ Scheme
- The Government has unveiled the ‘Electoral Bonds’ scheme, which seeks to ensure the flow of clean money to political parties, without revealing the donors’ names.
- The electoral bonds will be a bearer instrument in the nature of a Promissory Note and an interest-free banking instrument.
- The bonds can be purchased for any value in multiples of Rs. 1,000; Rs10,000; Rs1 lakh; Rs. 10 lakh; and Rs. 1 crore.
Bill to increase the salary of Judges
- The Lok Sabha passed High Court and Supreme Court Judges (Salaries and Conditions of Service) Amendment Bill, 2017 to hike the salaries of judges of the SC and HC.
- The salary hike in line with recommendations of 7th Pay Commission for officers of all-India services.
- As of new bill proposed salary of CJI will be Rs. 2,80,000 a month, for Judges of Supreme Court and Chief Justices of High Courts it will be Rs. 2,50,000a month and for Judges of HC it will be Rs. 2,25,000 a month.
- According to new bill allowance for CJI will be Rs. 45,000 a month, for Judges of Supreme Court and Chief Justices of High Courts it will be Rs. 34000 a month and for Judges of HC it will be Rs. 27000 a month.
- It proposes pension of Rs. 16,80,000 per annum to CJI. Judges of the Supreme Court and Justice of High Court will get pension of Rs. 15,00,000 per annum.
Six New non-permanent Members in UNSC
- Equatorial Guinea, Ivory Coast, Kuwait, Peru, Poland and the Netherlands formally joined the UNSC as non-permanent members after the vacancy created on December 31st when Egypt, Italy, Japan, Senegal, Ukraine, and Uruguay left their seats.
- The UN Security Council has 15 members, including five permanent ones – Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States.