1. Full membership of the Governor General’s Executive Council was extended to the Law Member through the
(a) Charter Act 1833
(b) Charter Act 1853
(c) Charter Act 1861
(d) Charter Act 1892
2. Slavery was abolished in India by an Act of
3. The Widow Remarriage Act was passed during the Governor-Generalship of
4. The Nair Service Society was founded by
(a) K. Ramakrishna Pillai
(b) M. Pad,amabhan
(c) Chandra Menon
(d) T.M. Madhavan
5. As part of the Civil Disobedience Movement there was defiance of forest laws in
(a) Kerala, Gujarat and Assam
(b) Bengal and Orissa
(c) The Madras presidency and Orissa
(d) Maharashtra, Karnataka and the Central Provinces.
6. Who among the following was India’s Defence Minister when the Chinese invaded the Northern part of India in 1962?
(a) Jagjivan Ram
(b) T.T. Krishnamachari
(c) Morarji Desai
(d) V.K. Krishna Menon
7. What is the correct chronological order of the following British officials in India?
- Earl of Minto
- Marquis of Wellesley
- Sir John Shore
- Marquis Cornwallis
Select the correct answer using the codes given below
(a) 1, 2, 3 and 4
(b) 2, 1, 3 and 4
(c) 3, 1, 4 and 2
(d) 2, 1, 4 and 3
8. The Drain Theory has been propounded by
(a) Mahatma Gandhi
(b) Bal Gangadhar Tilak
(c) Dadabhai Naoroji
(d) Lala Lajpat Rai
9. Assertion (A): Syed Ahmed Khan founded United Indian Patriotic Association in 1888.
Reason (R): He wanted to combat the influence of the Indian National Congress.
(a) A and R are true and R is the correct explanation of A.
(b) A and R are true but R is not the correct explanation of A.
(c) A is true but R is false.
(d) A is false but R is true.
10. Under which of the following the demand of separate electorates by Muslim league was accepted
(a) Rowlatt Act
(b) Morey-Minto reforms
(c) Government of India Act of 1935
(d) Montague-Chelmsford reforms
- (b) By the Charter Act of 1833, a law member was appointed in the Governor-Genral’s executive Council. Lord Makul Roy was the first law member but the full membership of the Governor-General’s Executive council was extended to the law member through the Charter Act of 1853.
- (d) The Widow Remarriage Act was passed in 1856 during the Governor Generalship of Lord Dalhousie. By this Act, the widow remarriage was legalized and the child born due to such marriage was declared legal.
- (b) It was formed for the upliftement of Nair castes.
- (b) The Civil Disobedience Movement started with the famous Dandi March of Mahatma Gandhi on 12th March 1930.
- (c) Dadabhai Naoriji first gave ‘Drain Theory’ in his book-England’s debt to India’ and then in “The Poverty and Un-British Rule in India.”