The association has been influential in shaping global economic policy and research. Nobel laureates like Robert Solow, Amartya Sen, and Joseph Stiglitz are among International Economic Association past presidents.
International Economic Association organizes World Congress after every three years. The event serves as one of the largest gatherings of economists from around the world.
IEA’s seventeenth World Congress was held at the Dead Sea, Jordan in June 2014. The 16th World Congress of International Economic Association was hosted by China in Beijing in 2011.
This will be the second time that an Indian will be heading this association that produces a large number of research papers and books and organizes round tables on topics of contemporary interest. Amartya Sen became the first Indian to join International Economic Association.
- Kaushik Basu is Senior Vice President and Chief Economist of World Bank. He was appointed as
Chief Economist at the World Bank on 5 September 2012.
- He is currently the fourth President of the Human Development and Capabilities Association which was founded by Amartya Sen and a member of the Board of Directors of the Exim Bank of India.
- He is on leave from Cornell University where he is Professor of Economics and the C. Marks Professor of International Studies.
- In May 2008, he was awarded the Padma Bhushan, one of India’s highest civilian awards by the President of India.
- From December 2009 to July 2012, he served as the Chief Economic Advisor (CEA) to the Government of India at the Union Ministry of Finance.