Current Affairs Daily Digest is a collection of important current affairs facts in a short but effective way that helps you saving time while keeping you updated about the world around you.
Joyce Msuya new UNEP head
Tanzanian microbiologist Joyce Msuya has been appointed as acting head of the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) following the resignation of Erik Solheim.
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has approved continuation of ‘Atmosphere & Climate Research-Modelling Observing Systems & Services’ (ACROSS) during 2017-2020, its aim is to provide a reliable weather and climate forecast for the betterment of society.
Tata Literature Awards 2018
- Anuradha Roy and James Crabtree – Winners
- Mark Tully – Life Time
- Harper Collins India – Publisher
- Jayanta Mahapatra – Poet laureate
Women Reservation in Odisha
The Odisha Assembly has unanimously passed a resolution seeking 33% reservation for women in legislative assemblies and Parliament.
New Star System
Scientists have discovered a new massive star system ‘pinwheel’ nearly 8000 years away from earth in Milky Way galaxy.
Russia has got contract from Indian Army to supply IGLA-S, a man portable Surface to Air missile.
World Malaria Report
According to WHO’s report, India and 10 African countries accounted for 70% of estimated malaria cases (151 million) and deaths (274,000) in 2017.
Maldives to rejoin Commonwealth
Under newly elected President Ibrahim Mohamed Solih, Maldives cabinet has approved rejoining Commonwealth group two year after withdrawing during former President Abdulla Yameen. Commonwealth is a group of 53 member countries.
Global Talent Ranking
India got 53rd rank in Global Talent Ranking by IMD Business School, Switzerland. Among Asian countries Singapore is place at 13 rank. Switzerland topped in the list.
India-US joint military exercise ‘Vajra Prahar’ began in Jaipur this year on 19th of November.
New definition of Kilogram
The world’s standard definition of the kilogram, the ampere, the kelvin and the mole has been changed. New definition is based on Planck constant. Earlier it was defined by a cylinder of a platinum alloy stored at the International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM) in France
ExceedSAT is the first Indian private entity satellite to be launched by SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket. It is a CubeSat mission by company Exceed Space. Its communication payload will give a major boost to ham radio operators.
Sugar import to China
World’s largest sugar producer India (32 mn tonnes in 2018) will export 15000 tonnes of sugar to China every year.
Privatization of Airports
Six new airports Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Lucknow, Guwahati, Thiruvananthapuram, and Mangaluru are to be privatized under the PPP model. Currently, Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, and Cochin are working under the same model.
Financial power of Vice Chiefs enchanced
The Defence Ministry has enhanced financial powers to Vice Chiefs of the armed forces from Rs. 100 cr. to Rs. 500 cr. to expedite the decision-making process involved in the procurements for the Armed Forces.
US Mid Term Election
The Democratic Party has got a majority in the House of Representatives, while the Republican Party increased its majority in the Senate during the recently held mid-term elections in U.S.
Polarimetry Doppler Weather Radar
ISRO has inaugurated the Polarimetry Doppler Weather Radar (DWR) at Sriharikota to provide advanced information, enhances the lead-time essential for saving lives and property in the event of a natural disaster associated with severe weather.
US allowed India to buy Iranian oil
India, China, Italy, Greece, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and Turkey are temporarily exempted from US sanctions on Iran for demonstrating ‘significant reductions’ of the purchase of Iranian crude.
Raja Ram Mohan Roy Awad to N Ram
Jurnalist and ‘The Hindu’ Chairman N. Ram has been chosen for the prestigious Raja Ram Mohan Roy Award 2018 presented by the Press Council of India for his outstanding contribution to journalism.
INS Arihant’s deterrence patrol
India’s first nuclear-powered submarine, INS Arihan, successfully completed its first deterrence patrol.
Airport named after former PM Vajpayee
The newly-built ‘Ekana International Stadium’ of Lucknow will now be known as ‘Bharat Ratna Atal Bihari Vajpayee International Cricket Stadium’.
New Members of Nehru Memorial Museum and Library
Government has appointed journalist Ram Bahadur Rai, former Foreign Secretary S. Jaishankar, journalist Arnab Goswami and MP Vinay Sahasrabuddhe as new members of Nehru Memorial Museum and Library Society (NMMLS).
RBI’s Public Credit Registry
RBI is going to setup digital public credit registry to capture details of borrowers, it will use data from SBI, MCA, Bankruptcy board etc.
Eklavya Award to Lilima Minz
Indian Hockey Player Lilima Minz received prestigious Eklavya Award instituted by IMPaCT. Prize consists of 5 lakh cash and citation.
First oversea blockchain payment
India’s first such financial transaction took place between HSBC and RIL using first
Notes of a Dream
A.R. Rahman has released his biography “Notes of a Dream – An authorized biography of AR Rahman” written by Krishna Trilok. So far Rahman has won six National Film Awards, two Academy Awards, two Grammy Awards, a BAFTA Award, a Golden Globe Award, and fifteen Filmfare Awards.
India-Nepal Train Service
Starting from December, India and Nepal all set to connect via (‘broad gauge’) train service between Jainagar Bihar and Kurtha Dhanusha.
Ayush Ministry celebrates ‘Dhanteras’ (Dhanwantari Jayanti) as Ayurveda Day in India. This year celebrated on 5th November.
SBI to issue Electoral Bonds
The Government has notified the sale of electoral bond by SBI through its 29 authorized branches from 1 Nov to 10 Nov. An Electoral Bond is just like a promissory note that will be payable to bearer on demand and free of interest. It can be purchased by an India citizen or company.
6th North East Festival
Organized in New Delhi this year. Various cultural events organized including cultural performances involving bagurumba dance, hojagiri dance of tripura, bihu dance of assam, garo wangla dance and manipuri martial arts performances called thang ta.
IBM to acquire RedHat
- IBM announced plans to acquire Red Hat in a deal valued at about $34 billion.
- Prior to the acquisition, Red Hat’s market capitalization stood at approximately $20.5 billion.
- The acquisition is by far IBM’s largest deal ever, and the third-biggest in the history of U.S. tech.
The deal between IBM and Red Hat is expected to close in the second half of 2019.
- Founded in 1993, Red Hat specializes in Linux operating systems, the most popular type of open-source software,
2018 Seoul Peace Prize to Sh. Narendra Modi
- Sh. Narendra Modi is selected to be awarded with 2018 Seoul Peace Prize in recognition of his dedication to improving international cooperation, raising global economic growth, accelerating the Human Development of the people of India by fostering economic growth in the world’s fastest-growing large economy and furthering the development of democracy through anti-corruption and social integration efforts.
Tragic Dussehra of Amritsar
- More than 60 people died and more than 70 are injured in the train accident near Joda Phatak in Amritsar.
- The incident occurred during the celebration of Dussehra when people were watching the burning of Ravana effigy.
- The event was being organized very near the railway tracks.
State Bench of GST Appellate Tribunal in Haryana
Haryana government has planned to constitute the state bench of GST appellate tribunal for speedy disposal of matters related to GST.
The state government would send the formal request to Central Government for the constitution of Bench in Hissar district of Haryana.
As per The Central GST Act, 2017, the central government would form GST Appellage Tribunal.
Reliance ADA’s 10,000 cr. suit against NDTV
- Anil Ambani led ‘Reliance’ filed a Rs. 10,000 cr defemation suit in Ahmedabad court against NDTV.
- The allegation is regarding misrepresentation of facts regarding Rafale deal, and biased story against Reliance ADA.
Anti Dumping Duty against Chinese Steel
- In order to guard Indian steel makers Government of India has imposed an anti-dumping duty on certain types of Chinese steel of up to $ 185.5 per tonne.
- The revenue department imposed the duty based on recommendations of the Directorate General of Trade Remedies (DGTR).
2018 Wildlife Photographer Award
- In the Under 10 age category of India’s Akashdeep Singh (from Jalandhar) won the 2018 Wildlife Photographer Award for his photograph of two spotted owlets closely sitting inside a pipe opening named ‘Pipe Owls’.
- This annual award is organized by Britain’s Natural History Museum, London.
Indo-Japanese Joint Exercise – Dharma Guardian
India and Japan to hold the first joint military exercise at Counter Insurgency Warfare School, Vairengte, Mizoram during 1st – 14th November.
Kongali Bihu in Assam
- In Assam, there are three Bihu festivals are being celebrated namely Rongali Bihu, Bohagi Bihu, and Kongali Bihu.
- Kongali Bihu, also known as Kati Bihu, has been celebrated on 18th October.
- Kongali word refers to ‘poverty’ or ‘having nothing’; name justifies as in this season farmer’s food grains are at its minimum stock level.
Liquidity Coverage Ratio
- RBI has eased the Liquidity Coverage Ratio by permitting banks to use government securities equal to the incremental credit disbursed to NBFCs for meeting liquidity coverage ratio (LCR) requirements.
- To ensure that the financial system does not face any liquidity constraints, RBI has also eased the single borrower exposure limit for NBFCs not in infrastructure financing from 10 percent to 15 percent.
China’s artificial Moons
- China is planning to put up three artificial moons in the sky to light up streets of civil areas. These moons are actually satellites with huge mirrors to reflect lights from outer space.
Rashtriya Mahila Kishan Diwas
- India celebrates 15 October as Rashtriya Mahila Kishan Diwas to honor women farmers across India.
Polio-free status of India reconfirmed
- UNICEF & WHO both reiterated India’s status as a polio-free country after some oral polio vaccine vials were found contaminated with the type-2 poliovirus last month.
- India has a high routine immunization coverage and so the risk of children getting vaccine-derived poliovirus was “minimal”, said the two global organizations in a joint statement.
India elected to UNHRC
- India has been elected to UNHRC with from Asia-Pacific category. India secured the highest votes number of votes (188).
- India elected to United Nations’ Human Rights Council for a period of three years beginning January 1, 2019.
Annapurna Devi passed away
- Annapurna Devi, Legendary musician of Hindustani classical music has passed away in Mumbai.
- 91 years old Annapurna Devi was an Indian surbahar player.
- She was the daughter and disciple of Allauddin Khan. She was married to sitar maestro Ravi Shankar.
International Day for Disaster Reduction
- International Day for Disaster Reduction, held every 13 October, celebrates how people and communities around the world are reducing their exposure to disasters.
World Bank Human Capital Index
- World Bank has released the Human Capital Index in which India is ranked at 115, signifying that Indian children are not learning enough in schools.
- Human Capital Index is a part of World Development Report.
Global Hunger Index
- India has been ranked at 103 out of 119 countries in Global Hungar Index.
- 21 percent of Indin children are under-weight, these children under the age of five years are having an extremely low weight for their height, reflecting acute under-nutrition.
Malaysia abolished Capital Punishment
- Malaysia’s cabinet has abolished the capital punishment (death penalty) which was currently mandatory in cases of murder, kidnapping, possession of firearms and drug trafficking etc.
Turtle ‘Olly’ to be Hockey World Cup Mascot
Olly, the Olive Ridley sea turtle has been declared as the mascot of Man’s Hockey World Cup to be organized in Odisha from 28 November to 16 December.
Earlier in 2017, Olly was the mascot of Asian Athletics Championship, 2017.
World Arthritis Day
- 12th October to be observed as World Arthritis Day across the globe
Theme: It’s in your hands, take action.
Minimum River Flows (for Ganga)
- The government has notified the minimum environmental flows for Ganga river, the upper stretches of the Ganga have to maintain a minimum 20 percent of monthly average flow between November and March.
- Minimum River Flows or Environmental Flows refers to the acceptable flow regimes that are required to maintain a river in the desired environmental state or predetermined state.
Defence Minister’s Three Days France Visit
- Nirmala Sitharaman is on three days visit of France started on 11th October to hold a wide range of talks and also to take stock of progress in the supply of 36 Rafale jets by Dassault to the Indian Air Force.
Silver Jubilee celebration of NHRC
- On 12th October 2018, the Silver Jubilee Celebration of NHRC began with organizing Human Rights Mela and Human Rights Street Theatre Festival among others.
H.L. Dattu is current Chairperson of NHRC.
Government Hiked import duty on electronic items
- The government has increased the basic customs duty on electronic and telecom equipment from 10% to 20% starting from 12th October.
- Items to be affected will be smart watches, optical transport equipment, and VoIP equipment among others.
International Day of Girl Child
- International Day of Girl Child is observed across the globe on 11th October every year. It started in 2012.
- Theme: ‘With Her: A Skilled Girl Force’
- Aim: To highlight and address the needs and challenges girls face while promoting girls’ empowerment and the fulfillment of their human rights.
CSO Meeting in Tajikistan
- Sushma Swaraj Participated in 17th Council of Heads of Government (CHG) meeting of CSO in Tajikistan held on 11th October.
NCVT and NSDA Merger to form NCVET
- The government has approved the merger of National Council for Vocational Training (NCVT) and National Skill Development Agency (NSDA) into a new entity to be known as National Council of Vocational Education and Training (NCVET)
New Solicitor General Tushar Mehta
- The Government has appointed Tushar Mehta as its second highest law officer, the Solicitor General of India, prior to this he was holding the position of Aditional Solicitor General of India.
Save Ganga crusader GD Agarwal dead
- Aviral Ganga crusader Sh. G.D. Agarwal who devoted his life to the cause of saving river Ganga, died on 11 October 2018.
- Also known as Swami Gyanswaroop Sanand was on a fast-unto-death for the last 111 days. Death was caused by heart attack.
- He was a former professor at the Indian Institute of Technology in Kanpur.