Current Affairs Daily Digest is a collection of important current affairs facts in a short but effective way that helps you saving time while keeping you updated about the world around you.
Rashtriya Mahila Kishan Diwas
- India celebrates 15 October as Rashtriya Mahila Kishan Diwas to honor women farmers across India.
Polio-free status of India reconfirmed
- UNICEF & WHO both reiterated India’s status as a polio-free country after some oral polio vaccine vials were found contaminated with the type-2 poliovirus last month.
- India has a high routine immunization coverage and so the risk of children getting vaccine-derived poliovirus was “minimal”, said the two global organizations in a joint statement.
India elected to UNHRC
- India has been elected to UNHRC with from Asia-Pacific category. India secured the highest votes number of votes (188).
- India elected to United Nations’ Human Rights Council for a period of three years beginning January 1, 2019.
Annapurna Devi passed away
- Annapurna Devi, Legendary musician of Hindustani classical music has passed away in Mumbai.
- 91 years old Annapurna Devi was an Indian surbahar player.
- She was the daughter and disciple of Allauddin Khan. She was married to sitar maestro Ravi Shankar.
International Day for Disaster Reduction
- International Day for Disaster Reduction, held every 13 October, celebrates how people and communities around the world are reducing their exposure to disasters.
World Bank Human Capital Index
- World Bank has released the Human Capital Index in which India is ranked at 115, signifying that Indian children are not learning enough in schools.
- Human Capital Index is a part of World Development Report.
Global Hunger Index
- India has been ranked at 103 out of 119 countries in Global Hungar Index.
- 21 percent of Indin children are under-weight, these children under the age of five years are having an extremely low weight for their height, reflecting acute under-nutrition.
Malaysia abolished Capital Punishment
- Malaysia’s cabinet has abolished the capital punishment (death penalty) which was currently mandatory in cases of murder, kidnapping, possession of firearms and drug trafficking etc.
Turtle ‘Olly’ to be Hockey World Cup Mascot
Olly, the Olive Ridley sea turtle has been declared as the mascot of Man’s Hockey World Cup to be organized in Odisha from 28 November to 16 December.
Earlier in 2017, Olly was the mascot of Asian Athletics Championship, 2017.
World Arthritis Day
- 12th October to be observed as World Arthritis Day across the globe
Theme: It’s in your hands, take action.
Minimum River Flows (for Ganga)
- The government has notified the minimum environmental flows for Ganga river, the upper stretches of the Ganga have to maintain a minimum 20 percent of monthly average flow between November and March.
- Minimum River Flows or Environmental Flows refers to the acceptable flow regimes that are required to maintain a river in the desired environmental state or predetermined state.
Defence Minister’s Three Days France Visit
- Nirmala Sitharaman is on three days visit of France started on 11th October to hold a wide range of talks and also to take stock of progress in the supply of 36 Rafale jets by Dassault to the Indian Air Force.
Silver Jubilee celebration of NHRC
- On 12th October 2018, the Silver Jubilee Celebration of NHRC began with organizing Human Rights Mela and Human Rights Street Theatre Festival among others.
H.L. Dattu is current Chairperson of NHRC.
Government Hiked import duty on electronic items
- The government has increased the basic customs duty on electronic and telecom equipment from 10% to 20% starting from 12th October.
- Items to be affected will be smart watches, optical transport equipment, and VoIP equipment among others.
International Day of Girl Child
- International Day of Girl Child is observed across the globe on 11th October every year. It started in 2012.
- Theme: ‘With Her: A Skilled Girl Force’
- Aim: To highlight and address the needs and challenges girls face while promoting girls’ empowerment and the fulfillment of their human rights.
CSO Meeting in Tajikistan
- Sushma Swaraj Participated in 17th Council of Heads of Government (CHG) meeting of CSO in Tajikistan held on 11th October.
NCVT and NSDA Merger to form NCVET
- The government has approved the merger of National Council for Vocational Training (NCVT) and National Skill Development Agency (NSDA) into a new entity to be known as National Council of Vocational Education and Training (NCVET)
New Solicitor General Tushar Mehta
- The Government has appointed Tushar Mehta as its second highest law officer, the Solicitor General of India, prior to this he was holding the position of Aditional Solicitor General of India.
Save Ganga crusader GD Agarwal dead
- Aviral Ganga crusader Sh. G.D. Agarwal who devoted his life to the cause of saving river Ganga, died on 11 October 2018.
- Also known as Swami Gyanswaroop Sanand was on a fast-unto-death for the last 111 days. Death was caused by heart attack.
- He was a former professor at the Indian Institute of Technology in Kanpur.