UPSC conducts Preliminary Examination of the Civil Services Examination which is also known as UPSC CSAT (Civil Services Aptitude Test). Initiating from 2011, CSAT is being held as a combination of two papers ( General Studies and General Aptitude). The combined score in those two papers is used to select candidates who can appear for Civil Services (Mains) Exam. The candidates who score well in the Civil Services (Mains) Exam and the subsequent Interview, are appointed for the prestigious IAS (Indian Administrative Service), IPS (Indian Police Service), IFS (Indian Foreign Service), IRS (Indian Revenue Service) and other Central Services posts in accordance with the Rules published by the Department of Personnel & Training in the Gazette of India Extraordinary.
UPSC Civil Services 2016 Exam Schedule
Civil Services CSAT 2016 Prelims
Date of Notification – 27.04.2016
Last Date for Receipt of Applications – 27.05.2016
Exam Date : 07.08.2016 ( Sunday )
Duration : 01 Day
Civil Services CSAT 2016 Mains
Exam Date : 03.12.2016 (Saturday)
Duration : 05 days
When will CSAT 2016 be held?
Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) announced that CSAT 2016 would be held on August 07, 2016 (Sunday). CSAT is traditionally conducted every year in May. CSAT paper 1 will be conducted in the morning session and CSAT paper 2 will be conducted in the afternoon.
Must Read: Union Public Service Commission
Who is eligible to appear for CSAT 2016?
Indian nationalities who have attained the age of 21 years, and not have attained the upper age limit of 32 years on 1st August of the year, in which he/she attempts the exams, are eligible. UPSC Commission takes up verification of eligibility conditions with reference to original documents only after the candidate has qualified for Interview / Personality Test.
Educational Qualification for CSAT 2016
The candidate must hold bachelor’s degree in any discipline from any recognized university. Final year degree students who will obtain the degree by August 1, 2016 are also eligible for CSAT 2016 Exam. The degree can be of any class (distinction, first, second etc.). Degree obtained from any recognised distance education/open university is also eligible.
No. of Attempts allowed in CSAT 2016 Exams
Every candidate appearing at the examination who is otherwise eligible, shall be permitted six attempts at the examination. Provided that this restriction on the number of attempts will not apply to Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes candidates who are otherwise eligible.
For some candidates there is a limit on the number of times they can attempt the Civil Services Exams. Even attending to one paper of CSAT (Prelim Exam) counts as an attempt. Applying for CSAT (Prelim Exam) but not attending to any paper does not count as an attempt.
Read Also: Civil Services Examination
How to Apply online for CSAT 2016 Exam?
Candidates are required to apply Civil Services Exam Online by using the website http://www.upsconline.nic.in. Detailed instructions for filling up Civil Services Exam Online applications are available on the above mentioned website.
UPSC allows online application and the process is very simple, secure and reliable as electronic acknowledgement ensures that application process remain error-free. The application website will open after the notification is issued in 27th April, 2016. Online application process for CSAT 2016 will start from 27.04.2016. The last date for filling the online application for CSAT 2016 is 27.05.2016 till 11.59 P.M. after which the link will be disabled.
About 3,00,000 people are expected to take the test and about 11,000 – 12,000 people will be qualified for the Civil Services ( Mains ) Exam.
UPSC Civil Services Preliminary Examination 2016 Application Fee
Candidates (excepting Female / SC / ST / PH candidates who are exempted from payment of fee) are required to pay fee of Rupee 100/- (Rupees One Hundred only) either by remitting the money in any Branch of SBI by Cash, or by using net banking facility of State Bank of India / State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur / State Bank of Hyderabad / State Bank of Mysore / State Bank of Patiala / State Bank of Travancore or by using Visa / Master Credit / Debit Card.
How much is the pass score in CSAT 2016 to Qualify for Mains?
CSAT has 2 papers – Paper I (General Studies and Current Affairs) which is generally very tough and Paper II (General Aptitude) which is generally very easy. Assuming those difficulty levels, a combined score (total score from both the papers) of about 50% is good for general category candidates to qualify for Mains.
Read Also: Things to Keep in Mind While Choosing Optional Paper for IAS Exam
UPSC CSAT 2016 Syllabus
The UPSC CSAT 2016 will have two compulsory Papers of 200 marks each and of two hours duration each. All questions are of objective type. The marks scored in the CSAT 2016 are used for determining qualified candidates for the Civil Services (Mains) Exam 2016 only. The CSAT 2016 score will not be carried over to the next stage (Civil Services Mains Exam 2016).
Paper I – ( 200 marks ) Duration : Two hours.
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography – Physical, Social, Economic geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization.
- General Science.
Paper II – ( 200 marks ) Duration : Two hours.
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision making and problem solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude etc.), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc.)
Also Read: NCERT books for IAS Exam Preparation – PDF Free Download
Important Notes for UPSC Examination 2016 are:
- The eligible candidates shall be issued an e-Admission Certificate three weeks before the commencement of the Civil Services Preliminary examination 2016. The e-Admission Certificates for Civil Services Preliminary Exam will be made available in the UPSC website (www.upsc.gov.in) for downloading by candidates. No Admission Certificate for Civil Service Exam 2016 will be sent by post.
- Candidates should note that there will be negative marking for wrong answers marked by a candidate in the Objective Type Question Papers.
- In case of any guidance / information / clarification regarding their applications, candidature etc. Candidates can contact over Telephone No. 011-23385271 / 011-23381125 / 011-23098543 on working days between 10.00 hrs and 17.00 hrs.
- Mobile phones, pagers or any other communication devices are not allowed inside the premises where the examination is being conducted. Any infringement of these instructions shall entail disciplinary action including ban from future examinations.
- Candidates are required to apply only through online mode no other mode for submission of UPSC IAS applications is allowed.
- Before initiating the process of filling up of IAS Online Application, a candidate must have his / her photograph and signature duly scanned in the jpg. format in such a manner that each file should not exceed 40 KB and must not be less than 3 KB in size for the photograph and 1 KB for the signature.
- Applicants should avoid submitting multiple applications. However, if due to any unavoidable circumstances, any applicant submits multiple applications then he / she must ensure that the applications with higher RID is complete in all respects and fee paid against one RID shall not be adjusted against any other RID.
- The applicants must ensure that while filling their IAS Application Form, they are providing their valid and active E-Mail IDs as the Union Public Service Commission may use electronic mode of communication while contacting them at different stages of Civil Services Examination process. The applicants are advised to check their emails at regular intervals and ensure that the email address ending with @ nic.in are directed to their inbox folder and not to the Spam folder or any other folder.
Don’t Miss: How to Crack IAS Exam? 10 Tips for IAS Preparation
Bth the papers are counted i meant paper 2 wil be qualyfing only or it will be counted for merit
Sir….if your belong to any coaching institute than I want to join you.
Please give me some information about upsc exam pattern.
I am a candidate for xam on 2017
I belong to Mizoram, North eastern state
So what would be Optional language for main for me ,please inform me about that,still I am confusing ,no body teach any Indian language, like Hindi, Bengali assamese in Mizoram etc….
If you can read, write, speak and understand english. It will do.
Respected sir I want to do mppsc for sub inspector plz get me alert
I want to give this exam..
Yes you can apply ir ur graduation is copleted .
I have little doubt that I am a soilder in Indian army from last 6 year can i apply for IAS exam or not pl tell me . I am very worried about it because I want an IAS officer
no of attempts are 4 or 6
if anyone wants any kind of information regarding these competitive exms email me … email@example.com
Thanks sir,to inform…
I also aspirant of competition exams.and i want to give me another information about can i give this examination by taking my regional (marathi) language.
I want to an IAS. But my parents income is too low. How I prepare for this exam. Please tell me information about this topic.
Dude, Clam down..
The low income does not affect this exam.. check this website for further queries on how to prepare..
Brother I think money is not the concern if you are motivated to Become an IAS officer. Just start with NCERT books from 6-12th and then study the current affairs thoroughly and then you will get some basics of it.
I have completed engineering in
2016 but my interesting in civil service
I want an ips offecer so please I request to you please tell me about best coching of upsc prepration in delhi
Can girls apply for this exam?
Thank you sir
Apart from regular news paper reading, online research, can you help in obtaining material for the specified portion?
If we take only IFS (INDIAN FOREST SERVICES) will it be counted as an attempt for civils
I’m graduated from Du
I’m Hindi medium student.
Sir suppsoed I clear mains exam of upsc sir which language conduct the interview Hindi or English.
can i give mains exam in marathi medium… plllzzzzzz answer
Sir…I passout from ruhs bsc nsg can i sit in exam…
I am studying last year in graduations and my birth date is 11/10/1995.
can I apply this exam ?
sir plz help to ips examination. ..
I’m final year student .. I want become an ias officer sir I have only 60 percent marks in 12 th so can I do ias and wt should I do after graduation help me and give me right suggestions
Thank u sir
Iam ready to exam
i had done bcom i appearing for ias exam and my optional subject is commerce but i m totally confused in the numerical question is calculater is allowed or not
can u help me out in getting d detailed info.regarding upsc???
books,coachings if needed,duration?n n at d end wat should be my strategy?
It will be my first attempt in civil service exam and my prepration is nt upto the mark as um inservice candidate. I want to know can i complete my preparation in 2 months.
Sir, if an “X” cleared the prelims exam but didn’t attend for the Mains exam. Will it count as an attempt? And how many attempts are there for Gen candidates?
sir, i belongs to OBC, MY DOB IS 12/06/1983 I did not applyed for UPSC EVEN ONE TIME, now am i eligible to apply
Sir,honourably I want to tell you that I am worried about the study materials for the mains examination of UPSC,can you provide me some important information about the mains examination.
Will d mains exam be held continuously for five days from 03.12.16 or will there be gaps?
I want to become an indian foreign service officer,give some information regarding on IFS
I want to buy 50 sets of study materials , how can I buy these…..
Sir, is upsc prelims exam available in Gujarati language (in Gujarati medium)?
Sir I’ll Complete my mbbs final year by next year Jan will I be eligible for 2017 csat?
Sir i have done diploma in mechanical engg after 10th not done +2 and now i am in b.tech in mechanical can i apply for the exam
Sir plz help me and give me a better suggestion
I have a doubt, I will be giving my btech final exam on may 2017, can I give my prelims exam in August as the result for my btech exam will be out by November 2017 and I will get the degree by the time of interviews, so am I eligible to appear for upsc2017 exam. plus reply
Sir, I am pursuing 5year Integrated BS-MS from IISER. Will I be eligible for UPSC after 3 yrs. of completing BS or only after 5 yrs. of completing MS.
Sir calculated is allowed or not???
In the main exam calculator is allowed
I Want to became and ips officer pleeez advice sir
I want to crack the ias exam
Comments are closed.