A geographical lines of longitude is the half of an imaginary great circle on the Earth’s surface, terminated by the North Pole and the South Pole, connecting points of equal longitude. The position of a point along the meridian is given by its latitude. Each meridian is perpendicular to all circles of latitude.
Important Geographical Lines
- A Curzon line is the polish-Russian frontier setup in 1945.
- Dead line is the line or boundary of a military prison, which prisoners are not allowed to cross.
- Green Line is a demarcation line between the Greek and Turkish Cypriot communities.
- Hindenburg line separates Germany from Poland.
- Pak-Iran border line was demarcated on 24th Sep: 1872.
- Line of control is b/w Azad Kashmir & Occupied Kashmir.
- Mc Mohan line is the boundary line between India and China. It was demarcated in 1914.
- Radcliff line is the boundary between Pakistan and India. It was demarcated in 1947 by Sir Cyril Radcliff.
- 17th parallel line is the boundary line between North Vietnam and the South Vietnam.
- 24th parallel Line lies in Rann of Kutch. It is frontier between Pakistan and India.
- 38th Parallel line is the boundary between North and South Korea.
- 49th Parallel Line is the boundary line between Canada and the USA.
- Plimsoll Lime is a horizontal line on a merchant ship to which a ship the upper limit to which a ship may be legally loaded.
- Dead line is a boundary line around a military prison which prisoners are forbidden to cross.
- Durand line is 1300 mile long frontier b/w Pakistan & Afghanistan demarcated in 1893 Fileil -95. it has over 200 passes.
- Green line is a painted line in Nicosia (Cyprus) that serves as a demarcation line b/w Greek & Turkish Cypriot communities.
- Maginot line is French line of fortification built in WWII along the German border from Switzerland to Belgium. It divides France from Germany.
- Maginot line divides France from Germany.
- Mannerheim line was defensive fortification line on the Karelian Isthmus built by Finland against the Soviet Union.
- Oder-neisse Line was boundary b/w Germany & Poland during WWII.