The name ‘India’ is derived from the River Indus, the valleys around which were the home of the early settlers. India is the world’s largest, oldest, continuous civilization. It has the world’s largest democracy.
Facts About India
- India never invaded any country in her last 1000 years of history.
- India invented the number system. Zero was invented by Aryabhatta. Algebra, Trigonometry, and Calculus are studies, which were also originated in this country.
- When many cultures were only nomadic forest dwellers over 5000 years ago, Indians established Harappan culture in Sindhu Valley (Indus Valley Civilization)
- There are 300,000 active mosques in India , more than in any other country, including the Muslim world
- Sanskrit is the mother of all the European Languages. Sanskrit is the most suitable language for computer software – a report in Forbes magazine July 1987.
- Chess (Shataranja or Ashta Pada) was invented in this country.
- India has the second largest pool of Scientist and Engineers in the World and is the largest English speaking nation in the world.
- This is the only country other than US and Japan, to have built a super computer indigenously.
- This country also has the largest number of Post Offices in the world
- One of the largest employers in the world is the Indian Railways , employing over a million people
- India was one of the richest countries till the time of British rule in the early 17th Century. Christopher Columbus, attracted by India’s wealth, had come looking for a sea route to this country when he discovered America by mistake.
- The Baily Bridge is the highest bridge in the world. It is located in the Ladakh valley between the Dras and Suru rivers in the Himalayan Mountains. It was built by the Indian Army in August 1982
- The Vishnu Temple in the city of Tirupathi built in the 10th century is the world’s largest religious pilgrimage destination. Larger than either Rome or Mecca, an average of 30,000 visitors donate $6 million (US) to the temple every day.
- Varanasi, also known as Benaras, was called “the Ancient City” when Lord Buddha visited it in 500 B.C., and is the oldest, continuously inhabited city in the world today.
- Martial Arts were first created in India and later spread to Asia by Buddhist missionaries. Yoga has its origins in this country and has existed for over 5,000 years.
- The Persian invaders converted it into Hindu. The name ‘Hindustan’ combines Sindhu and Hindu and thus refers to the land of the Hindus
- The world’s highest cricket ground is in Chail, Himachal Pradesh. Built in 1893 after levelling a hilltop, this cricket pitch is 2444 meters above sea level
- Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine known to mankind. The Father of Medicine, Charaka, consolidated Ayurveda 2500 years ago.
- This country exports software to 90 countries.
- Jainism and Buddhism were founded in India in 600 B.C. and 500 B.C. respectively. Jews and Christians have lived continuously here since 200 B.C. and 52 A.D. respectively
- Islam is India’s and the world’s second largest religion.
- Sikhism originated in the Holy city of Amritsar in Punjab. Famous for housing the Golden Temple, the city was founded in 1577.