Christmas Day is an annual Christian holiday held on December 25th celebrating the birth of Jesus. Christmas trees are also known as the Yule-tree.
Facts About Christmas Trees
- hristmas trees are evergreen trees, usually either a fir tree, pine tree or spruce tree.
- Decorating Christmas trees originated in 16th century Germany when Christians would bring decorated trees into their homes.
- The Christmas season officially begins when Santa arrives at the end of the Macy’s Thanks giving Parade.
- X means Christ in Greek so to shorten the word Christmas we sometimes use X-Mas.
- In 1836 Alabama became the first state in the US to declare Christmas a legal holiday.
- Oklahoma became the last state to declare Christmas a legal holiday in 1907.
- In June of 1970 Christmas became a federal holiday in the US.
- Christmas trees were first decorated with foods such as apples, nuts and dates.
- In the 18th century Christmas trees began being decorated with candles.
- Electric Christmas trees lights were first used in 1895.
- Did you know that giving presents were once banned by the Catholic Church? It was believed that gift giving was connected to paganism.
- If you received all the gifts from the song “The Twelve Days of Christmas” you would have 364 presents.
- Do you know why we say the Twelve Days of Christmas? It is believed that it took the 3 kings 12 days to find baby Jesus.
- The song Jingle Bells was written by James Pierpont in 1857. It was originally called “One Horse Open Sleigh” and was made for Thanksgiving.
- Many years ago in England a traditional Christmas dinner included a pig head served with mustard.
- The tradition of naughty children getting a lump of coal in their stocking comes from Italy.
- Did you know that tinsel was once made of real silver! It was invented in Germany in 1610.
- There are two islands named Christmas. Christmas Island (formerly Kiritimati) in the Pacific Ocean and Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean.
- The tallest Christmas trees ever displayed was in Seattle Washington in 1950. The Christmas trees was 221 feet tall!
- It is said that candy canes were invented by a candy maker in Indiana. He wanted to use them to spread the name Jesus around the world.
- Santa Claus is also known as St. Nicholas, Father Christmas, Grandfather Frost and Kris Kringle.
- Santa is believed to bring gifts to good girls and boys on the night before Christmas (December 24th).
- There are 3 towns in the US that are named Santa Claus. One in Georgia, one in Arizona and one in Indiana.
- Santa Claus 8 eight reindeer are named: Comet, Cupid, Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Donder Blitzen