The coconut tree provides a nutritious source of food and drinks such as fruit, milk and oil which are extensively used in Indian cuisine. Coconut is a powerhouse of essential nutrients like vitamins, dietary fibre and minerals providing a wide range of health benefits. Although this functional food has been widely used in traditional medicine, its amazing benefits have been recently unlocked. Here are eight reasons coconuts are great for your health –
1. It helps in weight management – Coconuts are rich in fibre and low in calories which means that they make you full faster, and in turn beat hunger pangs. It also increases your metabolic rate thereby promoting weight loss. They not only prevent obesity but also its related health complications.
2. It aids in better blood sugar control – The presence of fibre in coconut slows down the release of glucose into the bloodstream which in turn lowers the blood sugar levels and controls other complications caused due to diabetes. Apart from that, they also help reduce the amount of strain on the pancreas, helping them function optimally.
3. It protects against infection – Coconuts are loaded with a myriad of healthy nutrients which boosts immunity and keeps diseases at bay. It also has antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties that help protect you from a wide range of infections and support your overall immune functions.
4. It improves digestion – Most of us are unaware of the fact that coconut is an excellent source of good fats (MCTs –
medium chain triglycerides) which are beneficial for people with digestion problems. It also improves bowel movement and digestion in addition to helping in nutrient absorption.
5. It prevents skin infection – The application of coconut oil or milk topically helps in shielding the skin from various infections in addition to combating symptoms of skin infections like dermatitis, eczema and psoriasis. It acts as a natural aid to prevent sagging skin, age spots and wrinkles along with softening your skin. Coconut not only helps maintain the chemical balance of your skin but also provides protection against harmful UV rays.
6. It promotes hair growth –
Coconuts and their by-products are undoubtedly the best natural aids when it comes to promoting hair growth and preventing hair loss. As coconut milk is loaded with a wide range of healthy nutrients, using it on a regular basis reduces hair loss and hair breakage. Also, applying or massaging coconut oil to your scalp makes your hair strong in addition to controlling dandruff and promoting hair growth.
7. It gives your energy levels a boost –
In case you are feeling tired or stressed
out, have a few pieces of coconut to boost your energy levels naturally. It is one of the best nutritional sources of instant energy that improve physical endurance as well as athletic performance. Coconut also helps in relieving symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome in addition to providing extra energy.
8. It is good for your heart –
Being low in sodium and high in potassium, coconut is an excellent food for people suffering from high blood pressure
. As coconuts contain no trans fats and are gluten-free, they are loaded with high amounts of dietary fibre, and are good for your heart. Coconuts not only improve the cholesterol ratio in your body but also protects your arteries from damage.