Reading Time: 3 minutes
Water pressure at the deepest point in the earth’s ocean is more than 8 tons per square inch, the equivalent of one person trying to hold 50 jumbo jets.
Surprising facts about Earth’s Ocean.
- Ocean tides are caused by the Earth rotating while the Moon and Sun’s gravitational pull acts on ocean water.
- The largest Earth’s ocean is the Pacific Ocean, it covers around 30% of the Earth’s surface.
- The Pacific Ocean’s name has an original meaning of ‘peaceful sea’.
- Located to the east of the Mariana Islands in the western Pacific Ocean, the Mariana Trench is the deepest
known area of Earth’s oceans. It has the deepest point of around 11000 meters (36000 feet).
- The Pacific Ocean is surrounded by the Pacific Ring of Fire, a large number of active volcanoes.
- The largest coral reef in the world is located off the Australian coast and is called the Great Barrier Reef.
- The second largest ocean on Earth is the Atlantic Ocean, it covers over 21% of the Earth’s surface.The Atlantic Ocean’s name refers to Atlas of Greek mythology.
- The Bermuda Triangle is located in the Atlantic Ocean.
- Amelia Earhart became the first female to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean in 1932.
- The third largest ocean on Earth is the Indian Ocean, it covers around 14% of the Earth’s surface.
- The Indian Ocean is the warmest ocean in the world.
- During winter, the Arctic Ocean is almost completely covered in sea ice.
- While some disagree on whether it is an ocean or just part of larger earth’s ocean, the Southern Ocean includes the area of water that encircles Antarctica.
- The Dead Sea is so salty because it is surrounded by a hot desert ,the intense heat causes sea water to evaporate faster ,thus, the large quantity of salt remaining in the sea as a large quantity of water goes into the air.
- Salt is produced by evaporating sea-water.This is done by flooding lot of sea water in salt pans or salt farms, then evaporation happens due to Sun & salt is left behind by evaporating sea-water.
- The Red Sea in the Indian Ocean has the saltiest water ,it is also known as the Dead Sea as its water is so salty that nothing can remain alive in it.
- Fifty percent of the United States (in terms of our complete legal jurisdiction, which includes ocean
territory) lies below the ocean.
- The deep sea is the largest museum on Earth: There are more artifacts and remnants of history in the earth’s ocean than in all of the world’s museums, combined.
- The longest mountain range in the world is under water. Called the Mid-Oceanic Ridge, this chain of mountains runs through the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and into the Indian and Pacific oceans. It runs more than 35,000 miles long, has peaks higher than those in the Alps and it comprises 23 percent of the Earth’s total
- The lowest known point on earth is called Challenger Deep and is located in the Pacific Ocean near Guam in the Philippine Sea and . The depth recorded is 10,920m or 35,827 feet.
- The Southern Ocean is located around the South Pole across the Antarctic circle in the Southern Hemisphere off Antarctica. The Southern Ocean is the home of Emperor Penguins and Wandering Albatrosses.