Nevertheless some of the famous scientists might forget is that they got into their fields because of some popular science movement in the first place, be it the Apollo missions, a computer science program on PBS etc.
With this in mind, here are just amazing things that we have come to learn thanks to the progress of science. It’s this sort of knowledge that’s inspired us to learn more every day and it’s our deepest hope that something similar might happen to you as well.
Valuable and Interesting Facts About Science
- The word “Scientist” first appeared in 1833.
- Scientists finally concluded that the chicken came first, not the egg because the protein which makes egg shells have is only produced by hens.
- 41 new species are discovered by scientists every single day.
- Scientists have developed a way of charging mobile phones using urine.
- Scientists can turn peanut butter into the diamond.
- Scientists have developed a microparticle-filled with oxygen that can be injected into the blood stream, so
we can live without breathing.
- The World’s oldest known creature, a mollusc, was 507 years old until scientists killed it by mistake.
- Earthquakes turn water into gold.
- A bolt of lightning is 5 times hotter than the surface of the sun.
- Eating salmon helps hair grow faster.
- During photosynthesis,plants emit light, called fluorescence, that humans can’t see.
- Sunflowers can be used to clean up radioactive waste.
- If you could fold a piece of paper 50 times, its thickness would exceed the distance from here to the Sun.
- You can start a fire with ice.
- Researchers believe the first human case of HIV was in Kinshasa, Congo, around 1920.
- The Big Bang Theory was actually first theorized by a Catholic priest.
- Bees can be trained to detect bombs.
- Tomatoes have more genes than humans.
- The Sun is 400 times further away from Earth than the Moon is.
- Humans share 50%of their DNA with bananas.
- Neptune was the first planet to get its existence predicted by calculations before it was actually seen by a telescope.
- It takes 8 minutes and 20 seconds for the light to travel from the sun to the earth.
- Pluto takes 248 years to orbit the Sun.
- The “smell of rain” is caused by bacteria called actinomycetes.
- The Colour of a mirror is slightly Green. You can see this if you look at a mirror in another mirror..the colour
down the “mirror tunnel” shifts to green.
- The dinosaurs became extinct before the Rockies or the Alps were formed.
- DNA was first discovered in 1869 by Swiss Friedrich Mieschler.
- The thermometer was invented in 1607 by Galileo.
- The tallest tree ever was an Australian eucalyptus – In 1872 it was measured at 435 feet tall.
- Giraffes often sleep for only 20 minutes in any 24 hours. They may sleep up to 2 hours (in spurts – not all at once), but this is rare. They never lie down.