Important Books for UPSC/IAS Examination and Preparation
The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) is India’s central agency authorized to conduct the Civil Services Examination, Engineering Services Examination, Combined Defence Services Examination, National Defence Academy Examination, Naval Academy Examination and Combined Medical Services Examination. In this post I am going to share a complete list of recommended Books for UPSC/IAS Examination and preparation.
List of Civil Services Books for UPSC/IAS Examination For General Studies
Preliminary IAS (General Studies)
- History books of Classes XI and XII – NCERT
- Freedom Struggle (NET) – Bipin Chandra Buy Now
World Geography – including Indian Geography Good books
- Principles of Geography (Class XII-Part I, II)
- General Geography of India (Class XII) Part I – NCERT
- Geography of India – Resources and Regional Development Part II (Class XII) – NCERT
- Physical Geography – GC Leong Buy Now
Also Read: Books for UPSC Civil Services Preliminary Exam Preparation
Indian Polity Good book
- Introduction to Indian Constitution – D.D. Basu Buy Now
- Evolution of Indian Economy – NCERT
- Indian Economy – Dutt and Sundharam Buy Now
- Indian Economy – Mishra and Puri Buy Now
- NCERT books on Science.
- Science and Technology supplements in the Newspapers and magazines.
Current Events of National and International importance
- One major National Daily – Either The Times of India or The Hindu.
- Newsweeklies like India Today or/and Outlook
- Current Events – Spectrum
General Mental Ability
- No special preparation is required in this area. But some practice may be done from any exercise books or quantitative aptitude. In fact, an intelligent calculation is the basic requirement for this topic.
Books for UPSC/IAS Examination Main (General Studies)History of Modern India
- India’s struggle for Independence – Bipan Chandra and others.
- Modern India – NCERT.
- Freedom Struggle (NBT) – Bipan Chandra
- Modern India – IGNOU
Note: –If one is hard pressed for time, he/she may skip the Modern India and Freedom Struggle.
- Art and Culture portions of history books and Gazetteer of India.
- Culture Chapter (s) in the India Year Book.
- Encyclopedia of Indian Culture. A good library invariably has more than one encyclopaedia on Indian Art and Culture selected notes may be taken from it.
- Books on culture / cultural topics brought out by Publications Division of Ministry of Information and broadcasting and National Book Trust.
- At least one major national newspaper – either The Times of India or The Hindu
- Newsweeklies like India Today or/and Outlook
- Current Affairs and News Analysis of BBC.
- Current events – Spectrum
- Book on Statistics (Class XI) – NCERT
Indian Polity and Constitution
- Introduction to the Constitution of India – D.D. Basu.
- Our Parliament – S.C. Kashyap Buy Now
Indian Geography and Economy
- Indian Geography (Class XI and XII) – NCERT
- Indian Economy – Dutt and Sundharam/Mishra and Puri
- The editorial page of the Economic Times.
Science and Technology
- Science and Technology section of the Wednesday edition of the newspaper ‘The Hindu’.
- Science and Technology Published by the Spectrum.
- Yozna contains science and environment related topics.
- Indian History – India Struggle for Independence by Bipin Chandra; NCERT Books ( XI & XII )
- Geography – Spectrum Buy Now
- Indian Polity – Constitution of India by Bakshi Buy Now
- Indian Economy – Plus One, Plus Two Books, Pratiyogita Darpan
- General Science – Tata Mc Graw Hill Guide
- Mental Ability – Quantitative Apitude by R.S. Aggarwal Buy Now
- Current Affairs – Some magazines and Newspapers
i. The Hindu/The Times of India
iii. Civil Service Chronicle
v. Competition WIZARD
vi. Civil Services Today
- Guides 1. Tata Mc Graw Hill 2. Spectrum 3. Unique
Books for UPSC/IAS Examination on Indian History & Culture:
- NCERT (+ 2 level): Ancient India, Medieval India, Modern India.
- Publication Division : Gazetteer of India (Vol 2 : History & Culture)
- Gandhi Nehru Tagore & Ambedkar : Gopal Krishna
- Bipin Chandra – Modern India
- A.C.Banerjee – History of Modern India Raghavan Aiyer : Mahatma Gandhi
Books on Geography:
- NCERT : Physical Geography of India for X – XII Std
- A Good School Atlas
- Sharma & Cotinho : Economic and Commercial Geography of India.
- Khullar : India- A Comprehnsive Geography
- Charles Farro : General Principles of World Geography
- Charles Farro : Monsoon Asia Reports published by Centre for Science and Enviornment And Tata Energy Research Institute
- National journal – Kurukshetra, Yojana etc.
- Down to earth
Books on Indian Economy:
- NCERT (+1 level) : Evolution of Indian Economy(I C Dhingra).
- Mishra & Puri or Dutt & Sundaram – Indian Economy
- Economic Survey
- The Economic Times,Business Standard
Books for UPSC/IAS Examination on Social and National Issues :
- Social Problem – Ram Ahuja
- Social Welfare Magazine – Published by ministry of social welfare
- IIPa Journal
Books on Indian Polity:
- NCERT (+1 level) : Indian Political System
- N.L. Madan : Bhartiya Rajya Vyavastha
- D.D. Basu: Indian Constitution
- Kashyap: Constitution of India
- Publication Division : Subhash C. Kashyap : Our Parliament
- P.M. Bakshi: Indian Constitution
- Our Constitution : Subhash C. kashyap
- Perspective on Constitution : S.C. Kashyap
- Frontline Magazine
- IIPa Journal
Books on Science & Technology:
- NCERT : (10 level) : Science, (+2 level) : Biology.
- Popular Science Series (CSIR)
- Reports Of the Ministry of Science and Technology Yojana
- Science Reporter
- Science and Technology in India – Spectrum
- Books on Statistics:
- (NCERT +1 level) Elementary Statistics
- S.C.Gupta : Statistical Methods
Books on India and the World :
- Journal of peace Studies
- World Focus
- Strategic Analysis
- South Asian Journal
Other Books for UPSC/IAS Examination for General Studies:
- India Year Book latest
- One competitive Magazine
- Guides like Tata Mc Graw Hill, Spectrum or Unique For General Reference
- The Pearson General Studies Manual.
thank u very much
This is very reading material prescribed BH this site.. Though some good books are mentioned, but not all books are good for preparation in this site.. Worst. Very worst.. Don’t follow this.. Wrong strategy
Sir give me the right suggestions for this book
Thanku very much. Very glad
r.s aggarwal will be helpful for quantative aptitude
How about Indian economy by ramesh singh and polity by laxmikanth are the good worth preprations
Its all a good one
Books to study up pcs preparation please suggest
please post your website article in hindi… prepration student like books or interview in hindi ias tooper
plz tell me….I am science studnt…..whch subjct I hve to read….is history geo necerry to read
Yes they are mandatory…
*Current events of national and international importance
* History of India and Indian national movement
* Indian and World Geography- physical, social, economic geography of India and the world
* Indian Polity and governance – constitution, political system, panchayati raj, public policy, Rights issues, etc.
* Economic and social development – sustainable development, poverty, inclusion, demographics, social sector initiatives etc.
* General issues on environmental ecology, bio-diversity and climate change-that donot require subject specialization
* General science.
* Interpersonal skills including communication skills
* Logical reasoning and analytical ability
* Decision making and problem solving
* General mental ability
* Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude etc. (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. –Class X level)
* English language comprehension skills (Class X level)
History Nd Geo are must for any field student..
I’m engineering student..
For cracking of gs you need to study it
Thanks & best of luck my friends.
Hi, is there any requirement of math study in prilm?
what about indian administrative , for PCS (provincial civil services).
Thank you it is very useful to me and who update this message
and tell me becasue i am BCA student ,and now studying MBA
Thanks a lot for such a valuable information
may u plz tell me about the study material of socail work?
Mains ki books bhi saath hi bta di bhai ….
to valuable a direction to be compared with anything.Greatly informed on required books and journals. thank you
Sir ,WHAT WILL BE AVAILABLE BOOKS FOR HINDI MEDIUM CANDIDATE ?REPLY PLEASE
Thanks a lot …….. I m engineering student I want to prepare from now only……how I need to study with this time table
Thank u 4
are these books available in hindi? because I m a medium student…….plz tell
Which book is most useful for Sociology for IAS preparation as optional Please guide me
plz I need general study of ias xzams
plz contact me +91-9858465307
Can you please suggest?
In What all fields a technical student like an engineer has prepare irrespective of gk and current affairs?
I am also an Engineer pls help me too.. i too have the same doubt….
thanks for that
its informat is very necessary for me
thanks for more info dear. Now i will start for upsc so plz touch with us and update more & more info which is regarding to upsc.thanks
Nice work… mr.praful
well done…!!! Thnks alot..!! 🙂 🙂
Hello everyone i am the beginner.. so pls help me in choosing the right study material pls..
I’m m.com student. Now i complete IBPS coaching so i want to clear KAS or IAS exam which book should I refer
Plzz suggest book for csat paper 2
That’s nice good sir thanks
But how much percent required in degree to apply for upsc exam
should i prefer old editions of ncert or new editions are good enough to carry?
Sir Pls Suggest seperate book of Pre-exam and Mains Exam Of UPSC
Sir pls ras teyari ke liye kya padhna padega kis trh se teyari kre kahaa se start kre books writer name etc pls help sir
Comments are closed.