Facts About Heart
- The average adult heart beats 72 times a minute; 100,000 times a day; 3,600,000 times a year; and 2.5 billion times during a lifetime.
- Though weighing only 11 ounces on average, a healthy heart pumps 2,000 gallons of blood through 60,000 miles of blood vessels each day.
- Do you know facts about heart that every day, the heart creates enough energy to drive a truck 20 miles. In a lifetime, that is equivalent to driving to the moon and back.
- Because the heart has its own electrical impulse, it can continue to beat even when separated from the body, as long as it has an adequate supply of oxygen.
- The fetal heart rate is approximately twice as fast as an adult’s, at about 150 beats per minute. By the time a fetus is 12 weeks old, its heart pumps an amazing 60 pints of blood a day.
- During an average lifetime, the heart will pump nearly 1.5 million barrels of blood—enough to fill 200 train tank cars.
- Do you know facts about heart that the “thump-thump” of a heartbeat is the sound made by the four valves of the heart closing.
- The heart does the most physical work of any muscle during a lifetime. The power output of the heart ranges from 1-5 watts.
- The heart begins beating at four weeks after conception and does not stop until death.
- Prolonged lack of sleep can cause irregular jumping heartbeats called premature ventricular contractions (PVCs).
- In 1903, physiologist Willem Einthoven (1860-1927) invented the electrocardiograph, which measures electric current in the heart.
- Physician Erasistratus of Chios (304-250 B.C.) was the first to discover that the heart functioned as a natural pump.
- Blood is actually a tissue. When the body is at rest, it takes only six seconds for the blood to go from the heart to the lungs and back, only eight seconds for it to go the brain and back, and only 16 seconds for it to reach the toes and travel all the way back to the heart.
- A woman’s heart typically beats faster than a man’s. The heart of an average man beats approximately 70 times a minute, whereas the average woman has a heart rate of 78 beats per minute.