Governor Generals and Viceroys of India
Lord Elgin (1862-1863)
Lord Lawrence (1864-1869)
- Telegraphic communication was opened with Europe.
- High court was established at Calcutta, Bombay and Madras in 1865.
- Expanded canal work and railways.
- Created the Indian Forest Department.
Lord Mayo (1869-1872)
- Started the process of financial decentralization in India.
- Established the Rajkot College at Kathiawar and Mayo College at Ajmer for the Indian Princes.
- For the first time in Indian history, a census was held in 1871.
- Organished the Statistical Survey of India.
- Was the only Viceroy to be murdered in office by a Pathan convict in the Andamans in 1872.
Lord Northbrook (1872-1876)
- Advertisement -